Saturday, February 25, 2012

Israel is still awesome: an update






Shalom!

Writing to you from sunny Yoqneam, where I've been staying this weekend with my Israel family. There is something so refreshing and calming about taking a break from Jerusalem, and I'm very thankful for the opportunity to have a change in scenery.

Plus, I'm not complaining about the home cooking.

Alright so what's been going on here in Israel?

I've been learning so much and going so many places. With school we've visited a few secular yeshivot (study places) where lots of post-army Israelis are learning about Jewish text and finding deeper meaning and connections to the traditions of the Jewish people. I love that it's possible to be a secular Jew in Israel but dedicate so much time and energy to learning about Judaism. These students are certainly not taking it for granted that you can be "Jewish enough" simply by living here. Most recently we visited the yeshiva at Ein Prat and then did a little hiking afterward. The landscape itself is so inspiring!



Life in Israel has finally lost its "vacation" feeling and I finally feel like my life is normal here. I'm so used to the culture and the tension and the language that living here doesn't feel out of the ordinary--it feels regular.


Marla came to visit!

With school we've gone a lot of interesting places lately: Gush Etzion (a religious settlement that was of strategic importance during the War of Independence), the Diaspora museum in Tel Aviv, and, in our discussions about the Arab-Israeli conflict, several cites of terrorist attacks. Everywhere we go I feel like I learn so much, even just from interactions and brief conversations with the Israelis where we're visiting.



Outside of school, I've been traveling, too. One day I went to Ein Gedi and the Dead Sea for some hiking and relaxation. This weekend, like I said, I'm up north near Haifa. I love how many different things it's possible to see in Israel. A 45 minute drive outside of Jerusalem in any direction lands you in an entirely different environment.




We had an incredibly rainy winter (and also tons of hail) and it looks like spring is finally approaching. The days are getting longer, shabbat comes in at a more normal time (instead of on Thursday.), and the flowers are blooming.

welcoming shabbat at kibbutz gezer


shabbat walk in yemin moshe

It's hard to believe it's already the end of February! There is still so much to see and experience here, and I'm hoping to make the most of the few weeks I have left in this incredible place.


sunset in haifa

Also, here's a link to my d'var torah I gave last week! click here



oh, and my sister got a hedgehog. meet la seƱorita pricklepants.

No comments:

Post a Comment